Due to the expansion of our business, Manchester BIOGEL is recruiting a Cell Culture Scientist to join our highly driven and growing team based at Alderley Park, Cheshire.
This is an excellent opportunity for a recently qualified PhD graduate in biological sciences or related discipline with a desire to become an integral part of a fast-growing and dynamic company. The role will appeal to someone experienced in working in a cell culture laboratory with proficiency of embedding cells within hydrogel scaffolds and skills in various in vitro cell-based assays or similar.
About the Role
As part of this multi-disciplinary team, you will be lab based and will exemplify and develop the application of our PeptiGel® products with various tissue-specific cell types for a range of research-led studies. Supported by our Product Development Team, you will also contribute to the development of innovative products to help meet the growing demands of our expanding customer base and aid the growth of our commercial activities. In return, we will provide you with the opportunity to develop your research, technical and transferable skills and gain invaluable experience to develop your scientific and commercial expertise.
Renumeration will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Manchester BIOGEL (MBG) is a vibrant customer focused business that develops, manufactures and sells tunable peptide-based hydrogel products. These products, PeptiGels®, are in growing demand for 3D cell culture, 3D bioprinting and drug discovery.
MBG has both office and production facilities at Alderley Park, Cheshire, which offers world-class bioscience facilities and is one of the leading science and technology park sites in Europe. Our facilities are set within 400 acres of historic parkland, with a rare arboretum, lakes and water garden. There is also access to subsidised catering, sports facilities and free-parking.
Key responsibilities include:
- Utilise scientific and laboratory skills in developing and validating the application of PeptiGel® products for the growth and maintenance of specific cell types
- Support the analysis of PeptiGel® cultures using cell-based assays, microscopy, histology, PCR, Western blotting and other analytical assays
- Lead the development and validation of cell-specific assay protocols
- Collect and analyse data, write reports and prepare presentations
- Use your scientific and technical knowledge to contribute to the improvement and development of our product portfolio
- Troubleshoot key cell culture questions to support the development of external strategic partnerships
- Manage day-to-day cell culture laboratory activities including cell growth and maintenance, risk evaluation, cell banking, freezing and resurrecting cell lines
- Be an integral part of the Product Development Team and ensure excellent communication between colleagues to ensure we meet targets
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- PhD degree in 3D cell culture, biological sciences or equivalent
- Experience in 3D cell culture is required, ideally using hydrogel scaffolds, with familiarity of growing spheroids and organoids desirable
- Experience of cell-based assays, microscopic and histological analysis
- Experience of PCR, Western blotting and analytical tools is desirable
- Knowledge of Health and Safety within cell culture laboratories
- Able to critically analyse and use initiative to solve problems and troubleshoot with the assistance of team members
- Outgoing, friendly and approachable
- High level of attention to detail and good organisation skills
- Able to critique and improve activities through continuous improvement and innovation
- Able to work independently and as a team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and record keeping
- Adaptability and flexibility to changing priorities
- Able to work creatively in a fast-paced environment
- Able to work under pressure and meet demanding timeline
How to Apply
Please provide a CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to email@example.com quoting the reference MBG107.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on Monday 22nd of February 2021. First round virtual interviews likely to take place on Tuesday 2nd of March 2021.
Direct applications only – no agencies please